Self-Paced Online Course: Personal Finance
Study Hours: 80
Economics is the study of how society uses its limited resources. Economics deals with the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. An understanding of economics is valuable to anyone involved in business.
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Understand money and the time value of money.
- Create a personal budget.
- Understand what it takes to establish a credit score, and why this is important.
- Appreciate different types of credit and the distinction between credit cards and debit cards.
- Open a bank account, write checks and manage accounts.
- Understand bank fees.
- Appreciate the costs and implications of raising various types of loans, such as bank loans, student debt, car loans and mortgages.
- Understand the fundamentals of taxes, including US federal and state income tax, sales tax, estate taxes, capital gains.
- Complete a tax return.
- Appreciate compound interest and various investment vehicles such as stocks & bonds, and different types of managed funds like mutual funds and index funds.
The course is organized into the following sections:
- Time Value of Money
- Different Types of Interest
- Banking and Bank Accounts
- Building and Maintaining Good Credit
- Credit Cards and Revolving Credit
- Buying a Home
- Paying Taxes
- Savings & Investments